Over the past several months we have been talking with customers one-on-one about the SkyMiles program and other elite benefits in an effort to learn more about how we can improve our program. During our listening, five top themes emerged. We’re excited to share with you some of the important changes we’ve made based directly on your feedback…
1. We’re Improving the Award Calendar – We listened when you said our award calendar is tricky to use. That’s why in May, we started re-engineering the Award Travel booking process and calendar on delta.com, with additional improvements coming online throughout the rest of the year. Our team is working on:
- Improved display of award seats
- Remodeled pricing and availability display of the calendar
- Added search options and display flight amenities
- Improved access to Award Travel reservations from the home page
If you check out the award calendar today, you’ll see several enhancements are already in place! Be sure to stay tuned as we make more improvements between now and December.
2. We’re Making it Easy to Redeem SkyMiles Close to Departure – You were loud and clear in saying that you wanted SkyMiles rapid redemption fees within 21 days eliminated. On June 2, we did just that. Now you can redeem your SkyMiles within 21 days of departure with no additional fee, saving you between $75 and $150.
3. We’re Improving 25,000-Mile Award Availability – At the same time we eliminated the Award Ticket redemption fees for frequent flyers, we also improved overall availability for 25,000 mile awards. These changes have led to double-digit increases in award booking this summer, and we hope you’re seeing these changes as you peruse the award calendar for your next trip! You can also check out our new Award Travel tips page designed to increase your access to 25,000-mile awards and help you redeem miles for travel in the next 21 days at the 25,000 mile level.
4. We’re Offering More Complimentary Upgrades to More Medallions – In June, we added L, U and T fares to the Complimentary Medallion Companion Upgrade rules so that all paid fare classes qualify for this benefit. We have other upgrade related improvements in the works as well. Make sure to check out delta.com/whatsahead for the latest information.
5. We’re Improving Sky Priority Boarding – While many of our Gold, Platinum and Diamond Medallion members have been happy with the new Sky Priority program, our conversations with customers made it clear there are still some changes you’d like to see. Here’s what we’ve been working on:
- Improvements to the boarding process in June so that First/Business Class passengers pre-board the aircraft prior to the start of Zone 1 boarding.
- Reaffirmed that Silver Medallion members continue to enjoy priority boarding using the Sky Priority lane in advance of general boarding for customers in Zones 3 and 4.
We have a lot of exciting things yet to come and will continue to deliver program improvements based on our members’ feedback. So, I’m curious. Have you noticed any of these changes? Have you tried any of these out yet? What do you think? Let’s keep the conversation going.
Vice President, SkyMiles program