Everyone needs a vacation this summer. Below are our favorite tips to help you out before you leave on your Delta vacation to help you avoid the, “did I do this, did I turn that off?” feeling:
1. Make your house look lived in by stopping the mail and newspapers, or have a friend or neighbor pick them up, set lights on a timer, and turn on a clock radio. Also, make arrangements for someone to mow the grass in summer, or make tire tracks in the driveway and shovel the walks in winter.
2. Notify a friend or neighbor that you’ll be away, and leave a vacation itinerary with them. They can also check your house periodically to ensure everything is okay.
3. Notify the security system company to immediately consider any alarms as real. Leave them the names of anyone responsible to watch over your house.
4. If you’ll be traveling out of the country, make two copies of your passport and bring along a spare. Also, give a copy to a friend or neighbor at home in case your copy is lost or stolen.
5. Empty out the refrigerator of food that may spoil and take out the garbage.
6. Pay any bills that will come due while you’re on vacation.
7. Unplug appliances (like the toaster) and other electronics such as your computer to protect them from an electrical storm while you’re away. Check surge protectors to insure they are working properly. It’s also a good idea to turn off the water to prevent any water damage that could occur.
Do you have a pre-trip checklist? Let us know if you have any tips to add to our list!